Wednesday, February 17, 2010

PANCAKES



I know, I know, I'm a day late! I don't care.

I was supposed to go to the Engineer's Ireland member's information evening last night but I decided not to as I had a need to feed my pancake lust! Also I know I'm calling them pancakes when my recipe is actually for a crepe. What's the difference you say? It's all in the word, pancakes are a CAKE. Cake's are made using raising agents like baking soda or bicarbonate of soda. They are also much thicker and unhealthier for you. I'm not saying my 100g butter below is good for you, but it works for me and for one night in the year, I'm not worried about gaining weight!

Here's the ingredients:-
  1. 200g plain flour
  2. 100g butter
  3. 300ml milk
  4. 3 eggs
Here's how ya do it:-
Place your milk and eggs into a larger mixing bowl like in my pic there. Mix it together of course. Add the butter and plain flour a little bit at a time, mixing these in with a whisk or something similar.
N.B. You can melt the butter in the microwave first to make mixing easier or it can be replaced with Olive Oil instead, the oil being the healthier option.

The batter should be mixed without leaving any lumps. It should have a nice thick consistency right through. If it's too runny, add more flour. If it's too thick, add more milk.

Your batter is now ready to add to the pan, pre-heat your pan with a bit of oil. Add your pancake batter, wait until the edges curl up or go a little brown before flipping. For extra enjoyment, flip the pancake by flicking the frying pan (a certain amount of practice and skill is needed for this) instead of using the egg-lifter.

Place cooked pancake on plate, add anything you like. Lemon and sugar are the classics, Nutella is a huge favourite for chocolate lovers and Maple Syrup for the true sugar addicts.

Savoury Option: As I've added no sugar to the basic mix, these crepes can also be used in a savoury fashion. It's best if the mix is a little runnier than the normal dessert pancakes. You can add grated cheese, fried mushrooms and peppers to the centre before wrapping up to make a delicious dinner as well.

BTW the pic is mine, taken off my phone as are most of the pics in my blog. That's what your pancake batter should look like. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment